Did you know that a small fire can grow to involve an entire room in approximately 2-3 minutes?
A working smoke alarm provides early warning of a fire and time for the occupants to escape, enact their home escape plan and call 000 (triple zero). A small fire can grow to involve an entire room in 2-3 minutes. When you are asleep you lose your sense of smell, and a working smoke alarm will alert you to the presence of smoke.
Installing a smoke alarm in a bedroom, particularly when somebody sleeps with the door closed, is an important fire safety step that is often overlooked.
We recommend the following fire safety tips:
- Do not smoke in bed
- Make sure powered electrical appliances like hair dryers, hair straighteners and laptops are not left on the bed
- Install a smoke alarm inside the bedroom if the occupant sleeps with the door closed
- Keep electric blankets flat and regularly check for broken or frayed wiring
- Turn your electric blanket off when you’re ready to go to sleep
Maintaining your smoke alarm ensures it’s in working order. We recommend that:
- Once a month test your smoke alarm battery by pressing and holding the test button
- At least twice a year dust, vacuum or gently wipe around cover of your smoke alarm. This helps to keep your smoke alarm free of particles to ensure smoke can easily reach the internal sensor
- Every year replace your smoke alarm battery (only you have a 9 volt battery powered smoke alarm.) This advice is not relevant if you have a 10 year long life lithium battery smoke alarm
- Every 10 years replace your smoke alarm with a 10 year long life lithium battery and tamper proof chamber smoke alarm
Quell has a range of smoke alarms to suit all residential needs, and also recently launched a series of some alarms, featuring wireless interconnectivity with other Quell Wireless Interconnect alarms, meaning if one unit is triggered, all interconnected alarms will sound. Powered by a 10-year battery that lasts the life of the alarm, no battery installation or replacement is necessary.
With voice activation, these alarms also allow for easy interconnect setup and eliminates the need for expensive rewiring. Each smoke alarm can be used in different locations through the house – including bedrooms, living areas, kitchens and hallways.